All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe image of Arthur has haunted the poets and writers of western Europe for nearly nine centuries, and there is sign of an end to the reign of the 'once and future king' in the world of literature. The Arthurian epic is as popular a subject w as it was when it was first fashioned, and the stories about Arthur and the heroes associated with him come in a bewildering number of guises. The sheer variety of the legends, both in style and content, is extraordinary; and this collection attempts to present, in a small space, something of this diversity. Sir Thomas Malory, half a millennium ago, plundered a whole range of sources to create his masterpiece, Le Morte Darthur ; but he did so to weld them together within the framework of Arthur's own career. Legends of King Arthur draws on different sources, but emphasizes the way in which writers have created new stories around the great heroes, or have told the stories in different ways. So there are two versions of each hero's exploits. Arthur is shown as emperor and warlord, and as the triumphant and tragic king of the romances, betrayed by Lancelot and Guinevere. Gawain is the central figure of the wonderful adventures of a Dutch romance, and the courtly and subtle hero of the English masterpiece Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.Tristan appears as the single-minded lover of Iseult in the original version of his story, and then as a knight of the Round Table whose devotion to chivalry is almost as great as his passion for his beloved. In these differing versions, we can see how the Arthurian romances held the medieval world spellbound for so long, in all their color and variety. Richard Barber's books on Arthur include Arthurian Legends: An Illustrated Anthology , King Arthur: Hero and Legend and Myths and Legends of the British Isles .
- Author BiographyRICHARD BARBER's books on Arthur include Arthurian Legends: An Illustrated Anthology, King Arthur: Hero and Legend and Myths and Legends of the British Isles.
- Author(s)Richard Barber
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2003
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2003
- ImprintThe Boydell Press
- Content Note8 colour,
- Weight726 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $52.84
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.43
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.27
- AU $22.01Trending at AU $22.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.