All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the decades the reputation of the Samurai has grown to mythical proportions, from the films of Kurasawa in the 1950s to recent critical successes such as Zatoichi and 13 Assassins. Legends of the Samurai represents the ultimate anthology of classic Samurai texts, masterfully translated by Hiroaki Sato and accompanied by his insightful commentary. It includes such favourites as Hagakure, the 47 Samurai (aka 47 Ronin) and The Book of Five Elements. Sato presents both the history and the legend of the Samurai, untangling the two to present an authentic picture of these legendary figures and chronicling the changing ethos of the Japanese warrior from the Samurai's historical origins to his rise and rise to political power.
- Author BiographyHiroaki Sato is a poet, translator, journalist and the former President of the Haiku Society of America. The winner of the PEN translation prize for From the Country of Eight Islands: An Anthology of Japanese Poetry, he also translated the ancient treatise on Japanese swordsmanship, The Sword and the Mind. He lives in New York.
- Author(s)Hiroaki Sato
- PublisherGerald Duckworth & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication16/08/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGerald Duckworth & Co Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations maps
- Width163 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.