All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith his landmark 1919 painting The City, Fernand Leger (1881--1955) inaugurated a vitally experimental decade during which he and others redefined the practice of painting in confrontation with the forms of cultural production that were central to urban life, ranging from graphic and advertising design to theater, dance, film, and architecture. This catalogue casts new light on the painting (reproducing all of its studies together for the first time), the avant-garde use of print media, and Leger's fascination with cinema and architecture, and contextualizes a network of international avant-gardes--including Blaise Cendrars, Le Corbusier, Jean Epstein, Piet Mondrian, Amedee Ozenfant, Francis Picabia, and Theo van Doesburg--in relation to Leger. Featuring nearly 250 images of paintings, architectural designs, models, posters, set designs, and film stills and an anthology of relevant historical texts t previously published in English, this handsome volume conveys the spirit of experimentation of the 1920s. Scholars in the fields of art, architecture, and film history offer a deeper understanding of the relationship between art and the modern urban experience that defined this significant chapter in the history of modern art.
- Author BiographyAnna Vallye is an Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Curatorial Fellow at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/01/2014
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitlePhiladelphia Museum of Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note238 colour images + 11 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight1869 g
- Width254 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byAnna Vallye
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.