Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionA recurring issue in American political life is the role that religion plays in public law making. While many believe that religious voices have been unjustly suppressed in public life and should be accorded a more prominent role in the making of public policy, others argue that religion (Christianity in particular) is already such an institutionalised part of American public life that religious mirities can sometimes be made to feel like outsiders. In this thorough and thoughtful book, Lucinda Peach sheds new light on this discussion by proposing a fresh and pragmatic alternative: recognising the value of liberal arguments about the importance of religious diversity, on the one hand, she gives equal weight to communitarian concerns about the centrality of religion to moral and political identity, on the other. Defending compromise, she proposes that lawmakers incorporate different viewpoints into the process of forging crucial legislative decisions. But Legislating Morality's most original quality lies in the feminist perspective with which it addresses the general issue of how conflicts between religious identity and constitutional rights can be resolved in lawmaking. Groundbreaking and comprehensive, this book will be recognised across disciplines as a significant contribution to public policy, religious ethics and the law.
- Author BiographyLucinda Peach is Associate Professor of Philosophy and Religion at American University.
- Author(s)Lucinda Joy Peach
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/2002
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2002
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight521 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.