All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA puzzle underpins this groundbreaking study of legislative development in Africa: Why are variations in the extent of legislative authority and performance across the continent only partially related, if at all, to the overall level of democratization? And if democratization is t the prime determinant of legislative authority, what is? Exploring the constraints that have retarded the development and power of legislatures across Africa - and how members of some legislatures are breaking free of those constraints - the authors shed new light on the impact of the legislative branch on the political process in six emerging African democracies. This is a groundbreaking study of the development and impact of legislative authority in emerging African democracies.
- Author BiographyJoel D. Barkan is professor emeritus of political science at the University of Iowa and senior associate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, DC. A long-time student of democratization and political economy across anglophone Africa, his numerous publications include Beyond Capitalism and Socialism in Kenya and Tanzania.
- PublisherLynne Rienner Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication15/09/2009
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBoulder, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLynne Rienner Publishers Inc
- Edited byJoel D. Barkan
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.