All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCritical Theory originated in the perception by a group of German Marxists after the First World War that the Marxist analysis of capitalism had become deficient both empirically and with regard to its consequences for emancipation, and much of their work has attempted to deepen and extend it in new circumstances. Yet much of this revision has been in the form of piecemeal modification. In his latest work, Habermas has returned to the study of capitalism, incorporating the distinctive modifications of the Frankfurt School into the foundations of the critique of capitalism. Drawing on both systems theory and phemelogical sociology as well as Marxism, the author distinguishes four levels of capitalist crisis - ecomic, rationality, legitimation, and motivational crises. In his analysis, all the Frankfurt focus on cultural, personality, and authority structures finds its place, but in a systematic framework. At the same time, in his sketch of communicative ethics as the highest stage in the internal logic of the evolution of ethical systems, the author hints at the source of a new political practice that incorporates the imperatives of evolutionary rationality.
- Author BiographyJurgen Habermas, professor of philosophy at the University of Frankfurt, has been hailed as the foremost social and political thinker in Germany today (Times Literary Supplement). Included here are essays on his theories of communication, socialization, social evolution, and the development of law and morality.
- Author(s)Jurgen Habermas
- PublisherBeacon Press
- Date of Publication31/12/1998
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationBoston, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBeacon Press
- Out-of-print date24/12/2009
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight259 g
- Width139 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $25.19Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.