All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the founding in 1660 of the Royal Society, London, scientists engaging in experimental research have sought to establish a base for exploratory work in communities and their political institutions. This connection between science and the national state has only grown stronger during the past two centuries. Here, historians, sociologists, and jurists discuss the history of that relationship since 1800, asking such key questions as how have scientists conceived of the national setting for their transnational work in the past, and how do they situate their work in the context of globalization? Taken together, the essays reveal that while nineteenth-century scientists in many countries felt they had to fight for public recognition of their work, the twentieth century witnessed the national endorsement and planning of science. With essays ranging from an analysis of speeches by nineteenth-century German university presidents to the state of science in the context of European integration, this book will appeal to anyone interested in the public and political role of science and its institutions in the past, present, and future.
- Author BiographyAndreas Franzmann is a lecturer in sociology at Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat Frankfurt am Main. Axel Jansen teaches in the Department of History at Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen. He is the author of Alexander Dallas Bache: Building the American Nation through Science and Education in the Nineteenth Century, also published by Campus Verlag.Peter Munte is an assistant professor of sociology at Universitat Bielefeld.
- PublisherCampus Verlag
- Date of Publication29/04/2016
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintCampus Verlag
- Weight422 g
- Width140 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byAndreas Franzmann,Axel Jansen,Peter Munte
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.