All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLeicester's pubs have always been more than mere watering holes. They are where deals were done, battle plans drawn up and where murderers have faced up to their crimes. Richard III spent his final night alive at the Blue Boar in Highcross Street. In the Globe on Silver Street in 1815, Nathaniel Corah began trading in clothing made by local knitters. His company became the major textile manufacturer of the twentieth century, employing thousands of Leicester people. Condemned prisoners on the way to the gallows at Red Hill were allowed a final drink at the Talbot Inn in Belgrave where there are still ghostly sightings. The Grange Farm in Oadby is also said to be haunted. It was a farmhouse where most of the family died and who still wander the premises. Other local taverns have been frequented for specific purposes, such as those near the Leicester Royal Infirmary's Maternity Unit where fathers-to-be steadied their nerves or celebrated newly-arrived offspring; and the pubs near Filbert Street area where Leicester City fans have celebrated wins or drowned their sorrows. Leicester Pubs is a 'pub tour with culture', reflecting Leicester's history through the colourful stories of its inns and taverns.
- Author BiographyStephen Butt is a well known local historian, who presents a weekly local history programme on BBC Radio Leicester. He works in the broadcasting industry as a Senior Broadcast Journalist and holds degrees in Psychology and English Local History. Stephen is also an honorary press officer for the Leicestershire Victoria County History Trust, and the editor of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society newsletter. He has written many local interest titles for Amberley. He lives in Leicester.
- Author(s)Stephen Butt
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication12/05/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.