All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDancer, actress, mountaineer, and director Leni Riefenstahl's uncompromising will and audacious talent for self-promotion appeared unmatched until 1932, when she introduced herself to her future protector and patron: Adolf Hitler. Kwn internationally for two of the films she made for him, Triumph of the Will and Olympia, Riefenstahl's demanding and obsessive style introduced unusual angles, new approaches to tracking shots, and highly symbolic montages. Despite her lifelong claim to be an apolitical artist, Riefenstahl's monumental and nationalistic vision of Germany's traditions and landscape served to idealize the cause of one of the world's most violent and racist regimes.Riefenstahl ardently cast herself as a passionate young director who caved to the pressure to serve an all-powerful Fuhrer, so focused on reinventing the cinema that she didn't recognize the goals of the Third Reich until too late. Jurgen Trimborn's revelatory biography celebrates this charismatic and adventurous woman who lived to 101, while also taking on the myths surrounding her. With refreshing distance and detailed research, Trimborn presents the story of a stubborn and intimidating filmmaker who refused to be held accountable for her role in the Holocaust but continued to inspire countless photographers and filmmakers with her artistry.
- Author BiographyJurgen Trimborn, born in 1971, is a professor of film, theater, and art history at the University of Cologne and serves as a consultant on films of the Third Reich for the German and American film industry. He lives and writes in Cologne and east Belgium.
- Author(s)Jurgen Trimborn
- PublisherNorth Point Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2008
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, California
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorth Point Press
- Out-of-print date10/01/2013
- Content Note24 pages of black and white illustrations
- Weight513 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.