All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study is the first comprehensive, full-length account of the works of the Anglo-Jewish author Leonard William Merrick [formerly Miller], (1864-1939). Drawing on unpublished materials, it covers Merrick's twelve vels, his several volumes of short stories, eight plays, and contributions to motion pictures. A former actor, Merrick often wrote about actors; George Orwell regards Merrick's fiction about the theater as the best of its time, especially The Passion of Peggy Harper (1911). H. G. Wells applauded Merrick's depiction of racism in The Quaint Companions (1903). Anti-Semitism is shown in Violet Moses (1891). Mr. Bazalgette's Agent (1888) is the first vel in English to star a lady detective whose story is told through her diary. Many of Merrick's works also focus upon a 'New Woman' The pioneering meta-fictional aspects of Merrick's works deserve attention. William Baker is Distinguished Research Professor, Professor of English and Professor, University Libraries at Northern Illiis University. Jeanette Roberts Shumaker is a professor of English at San Diego State University.
- Author(s)Jeanette Roberts Shumaker,William Baker
- PublisherAssociated University Presses
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCranbury
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFairleigh Dickinson University Press,U.S.
- Weight454 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.