All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.46
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.66
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $2.99Trending at AU $5.60
- AU $11.33Trending at AU $13.35
- AU $9.96Trending at AU $14.40
- AU $26.30Trending at AU $28.24
About this product
- DescriptionA stunning picture-book biography of iconic African American opera star Leontyne Price. Born in a small town in Mississippi in 1927, the daughter of a midwife and a sawmill worker, Leontyne Price might have grown up singing the blues. But Leontyne had big dreams--and plenty to be thankful for--as she surrounded herself with church hymns and hallelujahs, soaked up opera arias on the radio, and watched the great Marian Anderson grace the stage. While racism made it unlikely that a poor black girl from the South would pursue an opera career, Leontyne's wondrous voice and unconquerable spirit prevailed. Bursting through the door Marian had cracked open, Leontyne was soon recognized and celebrated for her leading roles at the Metropolitan Opera and around the world--most tably as the majestic Ethiopian princess in Aida, the part she felt she was born to sing. From award-winners Carole Boston Weatherford and Raul Colon comes the story of a little girl from Mississippi who became a beloved star--one whose song soared on the breath of her ancestors and paved the way for those who followed.
- Author BiographyCarole Boston Weatherford's picture books have received many literary accolades, including a Caldecott Honor, the Coretta Scott King Award, and an NAACP Image Award. She is also the recipient of the North Carolina Award for Literature. Carole lives in North Carolina and teaches at Fayetteville State University. To learn more about her, visit CBWeatherford.com. Raul Colon is the illustrator of many award-winning picture books, including As Good as Anybody by Richard Michelson and Dona Flor and Tomas and the Library Lady by Pat Mora. His works have received the Pura Belpre Award, Gold and Silver Medals from the Society of Illustrators, and two Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children's Book Awards. Raul lives in New York with his wife.
- Author(s)Carole Boston Weatherford,Raul Colon
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication12/02/2015
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Books for Young Readers
- Out-of-print date24/11/2015
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.