All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
About this product
- DescriptionWhile information regarding children and their outlook on the war is t abun-dant, James Marten, through extensive research, has uncovered essays, editorials, articles, poems, games, short stories and letters that tell the story of the Civil War through the eyes of children. Lessons of War: The Civil War in Children's Magazines is a collection of such items, gathered from popular children's magazines that were published during this era. The selections in Lessons of War demonstrate the depth of children's involve-ment in the war, from raising funds for soldiers to incorporating the war into their play activities and eagerly accepting rthern political attitudes. The era's leading children's magazines, such as The Little Pilgrim, The Little Corporal, and Student and Schoolmate, used first-person accounts to let the children of the Civil War tell their own stories. Marten's commentary illuminates the vision of the Union war effort presented to children as the nation waged war against itself. Sure to enlighten both scholars and students, Lessons of War is a valuable addition to courses on the Civil War and American social and cultural history.
- Author BiographyJames Marten is associate professor of history at Marquette University.
- PublisherScholarly Resources Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/1998
- Place of PublicationDenver
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScholarly Resources Inc.,U.S.
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight454 g
- Width164 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJames Marten
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.