All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLONGLISTED FOR THE PENDERYN MUSIC BOOK PRIZE. Tom Watkins is the famously entertaining pop Svengali with killer commercial instincts and prodigious talent for design who propelled the Pet Shop Boys, Bros and East 17, among others, to global stardom. His fingerprints are all over 80s and 90s pop, and he's decided the time has come for a tell-all autobiography. Funny, unstoppable and outspoken, a razor sharp, and greatly respected businessman, marketing visionary, designer and art collector, Tom takes us through his extraordinary and colourful life into the inner-circle of 80s pop-culture. From his humble boyhood in post-war South-East London, to his teenage misdeeds and the birth of Rock and Roll; his days as a design student under the tutelage of Terence Conran and Rodney Fitch, to the excesses of the 80s and 90s where he became one of the original boy band invators - the driving force behind the pop icons plastered on the walls of teenage girls' bedrooms. Expect a gripping, gossipy, meticulously researched memoir of the coke-fuelled 80s, layered on top of an insightful and intelligent journey through a recent but very different age, from the singular perspective of a man who played a huge role in defining the era.
- Author BiographyMusic mogul, design visionary, businessman, cultural commentator and art collector Tom Watkins was born in post-war Blackheath, South-East London. He started his career working for Terence Conran and Rodney Fitch before taking his passion for design into music. His influence can been seen all over 80s pop-culture, on the album sleeves of Wham, Grace Jones, Art of Noise and Frankie Goes to Hollywood among others. Tom is perhaps best known as the music manager and marketing genius behind the Pet Shop Boys, Bros and East 17. One of the pioneers of the boy band, Tom helped shaped pop music as we know it today. Tom has been working with Matthew Lindsay, a writer who has published articles in The Quietus and Mojo4Music.
- Author(s)Tom Watkins
- PublisherEbury Publishing
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirgin Books
- Weight622 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.