All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEmotionally scarred in the aftermath of the family breakup, fourteen-year-old Davida Kincaid devises a plan to escape her impoverished living conditions in the outskirts of Columbia, South Carolina. The eighth out of eighteen children but the eldest at home maintains hope that her family will get back together. But if t, she vows to help single parent Mama change their ecomic status. Weekly visits to collect food money from Daddy expose her to undesirable people, places and practices until she experiences the unthinkable. Then she develops a new attitude about life, love, and family. Influenced by high school teachers, she sets out to prove that poor people have received an equal dose of intelligence and deserve fair treatment. But will racial discrimination, poverty, and low self-esteem hinder her progress?
- Author BiographyGloria Shell Mitchell, Davida Kincaid in The Garbage Man's Daughter Series, is an educator, minister, divorce researcher, and radio talk show host. This daughter of a South Carolina garbage man and a homemaker who birthed eighteen children (no twins) writes to enlighten adults and youth about the pain of divorce and separation by sharing experiences from a child's perspective. She has published in Literary Landscapes, Event Magazine, gospelroads.com, patch.com, Bukisa.com, and Testamentum Imperium An International Theological Journal in which The Importance of Grace in Compassionately Addressing Divorce appears. In addition to her published dissertation Compassionately Addressing Divorce: A Redemptive Model of Ministry to Divorced Christian Leaders, she has authored three self-published books in The Garbage Man's Daughter Series: Letting Go of Shame (Book 1); Letting Go of SECRETS (Book 2); Letting Go of STRESS (Book 3). She is currently writing Kiss Shame Goodbye, a memoir about Davida Kincaid's tumultuous marriage to her high school sweetheart.
- Author(s)Gloria Shell Mitchell
- PublisherEncouragemint Books
- Date of Publication23/04/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintEncouragemint Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $247.00Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $32.69
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $49.64Trending at AU $52.62
- AU $35.74Trending at AU $44.54
- AU $31.61Trending at AU $38.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.