All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1971, Bruce Neuburger--young, out of work, and radicalized by the 60s counterculture in Berkeley--took a job as a farmworker on a whim. He could have hardly anticipated that he would spend the next decade laboring up and down the agricultural valleys of California, alongside the anymous and largely immigrant workforce that feeds the nation. This account of his journey begins at a remarkable moment, after the birth of the United Farm Workers union and the ensuing uptick in worker militancy. As a participant in organizing efforts, strikes, and boycotts, Neuburger saw first-hand the struggles of farmworkers for better wages and working conditions, and the lengths the growers would go to suppress worker unity.</p> Part memoir, part informed commentary on farm labor, the U.S. labor movement, and the political ecomy of agriculture, <em>Lettuce Wars</em> is a lively account written from the perspective of the fields. Neuburger portrays the people he encountered--immigrant workers, fellow radicals, company bosses, cops and goons--vividly and indelibly, lending a human aspect to the conflict between capital and labor as it played out in the fields of California.</p>
- Author Biography<strong>Bruce Neuburger</strong> is a former farmworker, longtime radical political activist, GI organizer, movement newspaper writer and editor, cab driver, and, for the past twenty-five years, adult school and community college teacher. This is his first book.
- Author(s)Bruce Neuburger
- PublisherMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication03/03/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Business
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.