All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy virtue of the originality and depth of its thought, Emmanuel Levinas's masterpiece, Totality and Infinity: An Essay on Exteriority, is destined to endure as one of the great works of philosophy. It is an essential text for understanding Levinas's discussion of the Other, yet it is kwn as a difficult book. Modeled after Norman Kemp Smith's commentary on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, Levinas's Existential Analytic guides both new and experienced readers through Levinas's text. James R. Mensch explicates Levinas's arguments and shows their historical referents, particularly with regard to Heidegger, Husserl, and Derrida. Students using this book alongside Totality and Infinity will be able to follow its arguments and grasp the subtle phemelogical analyses that fill it.
- Author BiographyJames R. Mensch is a professor of philosophy at Charles University in the Czech Republic and at Saint Francis Xavier University in Canada. His books include, most recently, Husserl's Account of our Consciousness of Time (2010) and Embodiments: From the Body to the Body Politic (Northwestern, 2009).
- Author(s)James Richard Mensch
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2015
- Series TitleStudies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.