All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe pace of American society has quickened exponentially since the Founding Fathers first mapped the constitution. Information travels at the speed of light; so does money. We can hop from one side of the country to the other in a matter of hours, contact our elected officials instantaneously, and share our views with thousands of people at the touch of a button. Both academia and the popular media have grappled with the consequences of this acceleration on every aspect of contemporary life. Most pressing, however, may be its impact on political life. In Liberal Democracy and the Social Acceleration of Time, William Scheuerman offers a sophisticated assessment of the implications of social and techlogical celerity in the operation of liberal democracies. Specifically, he asks what is acceleration's main impact on the traditional liberal democratic model of the separation of powers? According to Scheuerman, high speed has created an imbalance. The executive branch was intended to react with dispatch; by contrast, legislatures and the courts were designed to be more deliberate and thoughtful. While this system of checks and balances was effective in the age of horse and buggy, Scheuerman argues that the very features that were these institutions' strengths may w be a liability. Throughout this book, Scheuerman offers a constructive critique which articulates ways in which liberal democracy might be recalibrated in accordance with the tempo of modern society.
- Author BiographyWilliam E. Scheuerman, professor of political science at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, is the author of two previous books analyzing the fate of liberal democratic institutions amid the recent social and economic transformations.
- Author(s)William E. Scheuerman
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication07/09/2004
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.