About this product
- DescriptionWhen someone dies, those left behind are expected to grieve. But, as taboo as it is to admit, t every death brings great sadness. Labeled ntraditional grief response by therapists and counselors, a positive reaction following a death is becoming more common, especially w that drugs and medical treatments keep people alive much longer than they or their families might wish. Sometimes we are relieved that our loved one is longer suffering; at the other end of the spectrum, a death might finally free us of an abusive or unhappy relationship. In either case, the cultural expectation for sadness, loneliness, and despair only adds to the guilt and conflict felt by many relieved grievers. Authors Jennifer Elison and Chris McGonigle have lived through their own liberating losses. Illuminating for the first time a reaction that many deem insensitive, inappropriate, or strange, Ellison and McGonigle share their own and others' stories, thoughtful clinical analysis, and pragmatic counsel. Wise, compassionate, and groundbreaking, Liberating Losses expands the traditional definition of grief and, in so doing, generously validates the feelings that so many feel obliged to hide.
- Author BiographyJennifer Elison, Ed.D., has been a grief and transition counselor in private practice since 1990. She lives in Montana. Chris McGonigle, Ph.D., is the author of Surviving Your Spouse's Chronic Illness and has been a Widowed Persons Service volunteer for many years. She lives in Montana.
- Author(s)Chris McGonigle,Jennifer Elison
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication24/03/2004
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDa Capo Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight285 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.45Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.82
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $21.49Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.