All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGoverr General's Literary Award minee 2008 - Children's Literature, Text categoryRuth and Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Award Winner, 20092010 Skipping Stones Hor Award Winner - Multicultural & International Awareness Books categoryGolden Oak Award winner, 2009Canadian Children's Book Centre Awards 2009 finalistOn Resource Link's Best of 2008 List CLA Children's Book of the Year Award Hour Book, 2009Manitoba Young Readers' Choice Awards shortlist, 2010Canadian Children's Book Centre Our Choice, 2009 Starred ChoiceOLA's Silver Birch Fiction minee 2010With their father gone to America to make money for his family, Libertad, his little brother Julio and their mother scrape a living out of a dump in Guatemala City. Although it is too late for him, Libertad is determined that his little brother should go to school. Taught to play the marimba by his father, Libertad uses his talent as a street musician to raise eugh money for his brother's school supplies. But his dreams for their future are destroyed when their mother is killed in a freak accident. Libertad must face the inevitable truth; they cant survive on the streets of Guatemala City alone. There is only one thing to do. They must set out on the long and lonely journey to the Rio Grande River, where they plan to cross the water and enter the United States to find their father.A moving story about determination and hope, Libertad is a stunning free verse vel by the author of In the Garage and Walking on Glass.
- Author BiographyAlma Fullerton was born in Ottawa, Ontario. She is the author of In the Garage and Walking on Glass. She resides in Midland, Ontario, with her husband and two daughters, juggling real life with her passion for literature for youth.
- Author(s)Alma Fullerton
- PublisherFitzhenry & Whiteside
- Date of Publication13/09/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFitzhenry & Whiteside
- Content Notemaps, frontispiece
- Weight240 g
- Width131 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.