All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe largely untold stories of innumerable, rather humble, lives spent 'in service' are lying just below the surface of many great houses; the physical evidence can be seen in surviving servants' quarters, the material of their everyday life, even their uniforms and possessions. This account provides a fascinating glimpse at who's who behind the scenes, from the cook, butler and housekeeper to the footmen, lady's maids, governesses and tutors, nannies and nursemaids. Giving a fascinating insight into the heirarchy within the servant's quarters - from the power-wielding cook to the ever-discreet butler - this guide describes how relationships were forged and changed as the gap between upstairs and downstairs was bridged. Describing their typical working day as well as the holidays, entertainments and pastimes enjoyed on a rare day off, t to mention the whirl of the social season, this previously 'unwritten history' recalls vividly the nature of their lives below stairs.
- Author BiographySian Evans previously worked for the National Trust, the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Design Museum, and is the author of Ghosts: Mysterious Tales from the National Trust, The Manor Reborn and Mrs Ronnie, all published by National Trust Books.
- Author(s)Sian Evans
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication03/09/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2011
- ImprintNational Trust Books
- Content Notearound 150
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.