All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis two-volume life of Sir Joshua Reylds (1723-92) was begun by the Royal Academician Charles Leslie (1794-1859), who had previously published a life of John Constable, also reissued in this series. On Leslie's death, the journalist and dramatist Tom Taylor (1817-80) completed the work, published in 1865. Leslie's motive was that he felt that Reylds had been unfairly treated by an earlier biography. He aimed to show that Reylds was 'the genial centre of a most various and brilliant society, as well as the transmitter of its chief figures to our time by his potent art'. One of the greatest artists of the eighteenth century, especially famous for his portraits, Reylds was also instrumental in founding the Royal Academy, and was its first president. Volume 1 covers his early life and his progress as an artist until his fiftieth year.
- Author(s)Charles Robert Leslie,Tom Taylor
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication23/07/2013
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Art and Architecture
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 b/w illus.
- Weight710 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.