All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.32Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThe sequel to Shimon Redlich's widely acclaimed Together and Apart in Brzezany , in which he discussed his childhood during the War and the Holocaust, Life in Transit tells the story of his adolescence in the city of Lodz, in post-war Poland. Redlich's personal memories are placed within the wider historical context of Jewish life in Poland and in Lodz during the immediate post-war years. Lodz, in the years 1945-1950 was the second largest city in the country and the major urban centre of Jewish population. Redlich's research based on conventional sources and numerous interviews indicates that although the survivors still lived in the shadow of the Holocaust, post-war Jewish Lodz was permeated with a sense of vitality and hope.
- Author BiographyShimon Redlich (Ph.D. New York University) was born in Lwow, Poland in 1935 and lived in the nearby town of Brzezany where most of his family was annihilated during the Holocaust. He and his mother survived with the help of a Polish family and a Ukrainian peasant woman. The author lived in the city of Lodz in the years 1945-1950 and emigrated to Israel in early 1950. He served as Professor of Modern History at Ben-Gurion University until his retirement in 2003. Redlich published books and articles on the History of the Jews in the Soviet Union and on Ukrainian-Jewish relations. He is author of War, Holocaust and Stalinism: A Documented History of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee in the USSR and Together and Apart in Brzezany: Poles, Jews and Ukrainians, 1919-1945.
- Author(s)Shimon Redlich
- PublisherAcademic Studies Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Studies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight558 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.