Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $239.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $334.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor intro-level, one-semester multidisciplinary science and astromy courses. Encourage students to explore answers to questions about life beyond Earth and our solar system. Life in the Universe provides an ideal starting point for n-science majors intrigued by the latest discoveries about life in the solar system and beyond. Rigorously researched and accessible to students of all backgrounds, the text introduces concepts drawn from astromy, biology, and geology to explain natural phemena and to explore profound scientific questions about astrobiology. The Fourth Edition has been thoroughly revised and updated to include the latest scientific discoveries and advancements, including new information regarding extrasolar planets, artificial life, and early life on Earth. Designed for courses in astrobiology, Life in the Universe arouses students' natural curiosity by exploring fundamental questions such as: How did life begin on Earth? What are the most extreme forms of life currently kwn? What do we kw about the possibility of life beyond Earth? The text encourages n-science majors to develop an understanding of the process of science through its inherently compelling subject matter as well as its wealth of engaging features, including Learning Goals, Special Topics, and connections to popular culture. Sidebars provide optional mathematical material for courses that fulfill quantitative requirements. Also Available with MasteringAstromy(TM) Available for the first time, MasteringAstromy from Pearson is the leading online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students before and after class with powerful content. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning educationally effective content before class. Students can further master concepts after class through traditional homework assignments that provide hints and answer-specific feedback. The Mastering gradebook records scores for all automatically graded assignments in one place, while diagstic tools give instructors access to rich data to assess student understanding and misconceptions. Mastering brings learning full circle by continuously adapting to each student and making learning more personal than ever-before and after class. Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MasteringAstromy does t come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MasteringAstromy, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information. If you would like to purchase boththe physical text and MasteringAstromy, search for: 0134068408 / 9780134068404 Life in the Universe Plus MasteringAstromy with eText -- Access Card Package Package consists of: *0134080017 / 9780134080017 MasteringAstromy with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Life in the Universe *0134089081 / 9780134089089 Life in the Universe *0321765184 / 9780321765185 SkyGazer 5.0 Student Access Code Card (Integrated component)
- Author BiographyJeffrey Bennett Jeffrey Bennett, a recipient of the American Institute of Physics Science Communication Award, holds a B.A. in biophysics (UC San Diego), and an M.S. and Ph.D. in astrophysics (University of Colorado). He specializes in science and math education and has taught at every level from preschool through graduate school. Career highlights including serving 2 years as a visiting senior scientist at NASA headquarters, where he developed programs to build stronger links between research and education, and proposing and helping to develop the Voyage scale model solar system on the National Mall (Washington, DC). He is the lead author of textbooks in astronomy, astrobiology, mathematics, and statistics, and of critically acclaimed books for the public including Beyond UFOs (Princeton University Press, 2008/2011), Math for Life (Bid Kid Science, 2014), What Is Relativity? (Columbia University Press, 2014), and On Teaching Science (Big Kid Science, 2014). He is also the author of six science picture books for children, including Max Goes to the Moon, The Wizard Who Saved the World, and I, Humanity; all six have been launched to the International Space Station and read aloud by astronauts for NASA's Story Time From Space program. Dr. Bennett lives in Boulder, CO with his wife, children, and dog. His personal website is www.jeffreybennett.com. Seth Shostak Seth Shostak earned his B.A. in physics from Princeton University (1965) and a Ph.D. in astronomy from the California Institute of Technology (1972). He is currently a senior astronomer and Director of the Center for SETI Research at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California, where he helps press the search for intelligent cosmic company. For much of his career, Seth conducted radio astronomy research on galaxies and investigated the fact that these massive objects contain large amounts of unseen mass. He has worked at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Charlottesville, Virginia, as well as at the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute in Groningen, the Netherlands (where he learned to speak bad Dutch). Seth also founded and ran a company that produced computer animation for television. He has written more than four hundred popular articles on various topics in astronomy, technology, film, and television. A frequent fixture on the lecture circuit, Seth gives approximately 70 talks annually at both educational and corporate institutions, and he is also a frequent commentator on astronomical matters for radio and television. His book Confessions of an Alien Hunter: A Scientist's Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (National Geographic, 2009) details the latest ideas, as well as the personal experience of his day job. When he's not trying to track down aliens, Seth can often be found behind the microphone, as host of the SETI Institute's weekly one-hour radio show about science, Big Picture Science.
- Author(s)Jeffrey O. Bennett,Seth Shostak
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication04/01/2016
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAddison-Wesley Educational Publishers Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1220 g
- Width248 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.