All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionSome of our most disturbing images of Hurricane Katrina involve the very old, trapped in flooded nursing homes, and the very young, sick in toxic trailers. Using the Katrina-Rita nexus as its reference point, Lifespan Perspectives on Natural Disasters takes the developmental long view on human strengths and vulnerabilities during large-scale devastation and crisis. An expert panel of behavioral scientists and first responders analyzes the psychological impact of natural disasters on-and coping faculties associated with-children, adolescents, and young, middle-aged, older, young-old and late-life oldest-old adults. This timely information is invaluable both to mental health service providers and to those tasked with developing age-appropriate disaster preparedness, intervention, and recovery programs. In addition, the book references other deadly storms as well as other major catastrophic events (e.g., the September 11 attacks, the Indian Ocean Tsunami), and includes such topics as: * Young children's understanding of hurricanes. * Positive adjustment in youth after Katrina. * How families make meaning out of disaster. * Disaster recovery in the workplace. * Recovery services for the frail elderly. * Coping and health in late life. * Preparation and training mental health personnel for disasters. Unique in the disaster literature, Lifespan Perspectives on Natural Disasters serves as a research reference and idea book for professionals and graduate-level students in psychology, social work, and disaster preparedness and services.
- Author BiographyKatie E. Cherry, Ph.D., is a Professor of Psychology and Director of the Life Course and Aging Center at Louisiana State University. Her research expertise is adult development and aging with special emphasis on memory aging in healthy older adults. Her research is funded by the National Institute on Aging and the Louisiana Board of Regents. In 2002, she was awarded the Emogene Pliner Distinguished Professor of Aging Studies professorship for her contributions to the field of adult development and aging.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication26/11/2014
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note7 black & white tables, biography
- Weight551 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byKatie E. Cherry
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.