Light in a Burning-glass: A Systematic Presentation of Austin Farrer's Theology by Robert Boak Slocum (Hardback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $69.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $63.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLight in a Burning-Glass introduces readers to the distinctive synthesis of theological reflection and everyday faith that characterizes the life and theology of Austin Farrer (1904-1968), a man widely considered to be the most important Anglican theologian of the twentieth century. Often quoted for isolated insights but rarely appreciated for his depth and coherency, Farrer is a theologian who, according to Robert Boak Slocum, is fascinating to consider but difficult to master. In this survey and explanation of the Anglican leader's prodigious output and complexity of thought, Slocum sorts through Farrer's many writings to articulate his theological vision. Slocum delves into Farrer's treatises, essays, lectures, correspondence, and reviews in an exploration of his three primary areas of theological concern: pastoral, biblical, and philosophical. Noting that few theologians have published so many significant works in such varied areas of theological study, Slocum maps the connectedness of thought that unites Farrer's works. Slocum moves from a basic study of Farrer's background and methodology to a consideration of his major themes, including his understanding of Christian hope, the problem of evil, the role of image and imagination in Christian faith, the use of literary methods in the interpretation of theology, and the interplay of divine action and human freedom in the Christian life.
- Author BiographyRobert Boak Slocum is a lecturer in the Department of Theology at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the author of The Theology of William Porcher DuBose: Life, Movement, and Being. Coconvenor of the Society for the Study of Anglicanism, Slocum has served as president of the Society of Anglican and Lutheran Theologians and as review article editor of the Anglican Theological Review.
- Author(s)Robert Boak Slocum
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2007
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.