All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe arrival of European missionaries in New Zealand had an immeasurable impact on Maori society. Like Them That Dream tells the intriguing story of early interaction between Maori and missionary, leading to the many distinctive responses to the arrival of Christianity. The book's first two parts consider how the Christian word was spread and how Maori responded, explaining the identification they felt with the Israelites of the Old Testament. The third part relates the rise of indigeus religious movements, from the early Papahurihia through Pai Marire, Ringatu and the Parihaka Movement, and the later incarnations of the Arowhenua Movement in the South Island and what remains today's leading Maori church, Ratana.
- Author BiographyBronwyn Elsmore is a recognised authority on Maori religions and early spiritual interaction with Christianity. Formerly a senior lecturer in religious studies at Massey University, Palmerston North, she is also the author of Mana from Heaven: A Century of Maori Prophets in New Zealand and Te Kohititanga Marama: The Religion of Matenga Tamati. She lives in Auckland.
- Author(s)Bronwyn Elsmore
- PublisherOratia Media
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationAuckland, N.Z.
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintLibro International
- Out-of-print date05/05/2016
- Content Noteb/w photos & line drawings
- Weight384 g
- Width135 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.