All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNot long after the world was created, Lilith, the first woman, was expelled from the Garden of Eden. She built an ark, a magic box, in which future biblical women could hide their most prized possessions. And so, Lilith's Ark became a place for women to share their own experiences of adolescence with future generations of girls...The women of Torah grew up at a time when gender roles were rigidly defined and girls were considered women at an early age. Still, the Torah hints that young biblical women faced challenges similar to those that teenagers encounter today: first loves, burgeoning identities, developing sexualities, and blossoming spirituality. Building on textual sources, Deborah Bodin Cohen has created a collection of midrashim about the teen years of 10 women in Genesis that will resonate with 21st-century readers. Lilith's Ark melds text, biblical commentaries, and historic details about the ancient world with the experiences of modern girls and women and the author's own imagination. A discussion guide for each story enriches the reading experience. This is a book that will speak across time to the anxieties and aspirations of today's growing girls.
- Author BiographyRabbi Deborah Cohen was ordained in 1997 from Hebrew Union College- Jewish Institute of Religion. She is the rabbi for Lifelong Education at Temple Emanuel in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Her first children's book, The Seventh Day, was recently published.
- Author(s)Deborah Bodin Cohen
- PublisherJewish Publication Society
- Date of Publication15/08/2006
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJewish Publication Society
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight253 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest Age12 and up
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.