All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Lineages and Lies, Jimmy Fox has created an intricate, gripping tour de force of genealogical mystery-a worthy successor to his acclaimed first Nick Herald vel, Deadly Pedigree. Nick Herald doesn't go looking for trouble. Really. He's just a struggling, t-so-humble professional genealogist trying to make a decent, mostly honest, living in New Orleans, a city where masquerade is second nature, where for centuries secrets have grown on family trees like rotten fruit. Genealogy should celebrate life, allow us to pay homage to our forebears and their sacrifices. But that's t how things work in Fox's fascinating fiction: Nick invariably finds himself mired in murderous perversions of rmally quite healthy curiosity about Louisiana family origins. Nick always expects to discover interesting and sometimes disturbing genealogical facts in the complex tapestry of the area's rich history. Clients usually take the good and the bad in their family trees with good grace. But Nick understands immediately that something more sinister is at work when an old friend and colleague is brutally murdered at a posh French Quarter hotel, and other gruesome murders follow. He vows to lift the veil of deadly mystery surrounding a lineage society whose members trace their ancestry back to a ship that sailed into colonial New Orleans. Is the Society of the Allegorie at the heart of the violence? Who is the killer? One of the many members, someone inside the society's bureaucracy, a frustrated applicant, or someone closer to Nick than he wants to believe? Working with his spunky, sharp-as-a-tack assistant, Hawty Latimer, and with a New Orleans police detective, Nick calls on his impressive research talent and remarkable investigative intuition to discover the truth that someone is willing to kill to keep hidden. A beautiful woman usually isn't far from Nick's thoughts and desires, and here it is an adorable blonde who seems to kw more about the Society of the Allegorie than an incent family-history buff should. Puzzle out the clues of the vel's nearly three-hundred-year-old mystery with Nick and Hawty, and thrill to the perilous scrapes Nick must extricate himself and his friends from in this suspenseful tale that will keep you guessing, make you laugh or gasp, and kindle your interest in genealogy, long after you've finished every scintillating, jewel-like chapter. Fox has again brought us a dramatic, moving, unusual tale that brilliantly showcases his sophisticated take on the amateur-sleuth genre. His trademark sardonic wit, deep kwledge of the genealogical field, and crime-fiction mastery make Lineages and Lies an unforgettably excellent reading adventure!
- Author BiographyJimmy Fox never met a family tree that didn't have a story worth a novel, at least-his own family being no exception. He was born in Louisiana, and there received a fine hybrid education (public school, Tulane, and LSU). By temperament an impractical dreamer and chronic smart aleck, he realized, after turning up his nose at several promising life paths, that he was unsuited for just about anything else but writing fiction. Fortunately, he was blessed with marvelously supportive parents, who had since his earliest days regaled him with tales of eccentric characters on both sides of the family. And when his father, like him a big fan of mysteries, heard Jimmy's idea for a series featuring a New Orleans genealogist as sleuth, the Nick Herald Louisiana genealogical mysteries were born, with the family's wholehearted encouragement. The novels received early positive critical attention and several awards, but the audience that Jimmy, his parents, and his loyal fans thought the novels deserved never discovered them among the crowded shelves of bookstores. Now, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, Jimmy will be improving and reissuing the three novels completed so far in the series for a readership potentially as big as the Internet itself! This go-round, his wife (a perceptive, prodigious reader) and two cats ( purrfectly good editors) will be cheering him on. Be sure to stop by Jimmy's website, www.jimmyfox.com.
- Author(s)Jimmy Fox
- Date of Publication14/08/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.69Trending at AU $24.60
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.61Trending at AU $22.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.