All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
About this product
- DescriptionLINGUISTICS FOR BEGINNERS is the first book to ever make the arcane labors of linguistics accessible to general readers. It begins with a lucid definition of language and proceeds to examine how it becomes the subject matter of linguistics. Key topics include the contrast between writing and speech, and elementary lessons in analyses ranging from simple sounds to entire sentences. Absurd fictions such as Eskimos having hundreds of words for sw are exploded, and the borderlands between linguistics and philosophy are investigated. LINGUISTICS FOR BEGINNERS teaches concise lessons using wit and whimsy making for a memorable learning experience. The reader will learn about language acquisition, ancient languages, little-kwn languages, tonal and whistle languages, linguistic engineering, structuralism, language origins, the anthropological approach to linguistics, kinship semantics, color lexicons, geographical linguistics, and much more! LINGUISTICS FOR BEGINNERS is the key tool for linguistic students of any level.
- Author BiographyW. Terrence Gordon has published more than twenty books, including Saussure For Beginners and McLuhan For Beginners. He is currently at work on a book about James Joyce and a biographical fiction about the legendary linguist Charles Kay Ogden. When he is not busy writing or teaching, Gordon photographs the haunting beauty of Nova Scotia, Canada, where he has lived since the 1970s.
- Author(s)Terrence W. Gordon
- PublisherFor Beginners
- Date of Publication08/02/2008
- Series TitleFor Beginners
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFor Beginners
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight217 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Illustrator(s)Susan Willmarth
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.