All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume has brought together scholars from anthropology, history, psychology, and ethnic studies to share their original research into the lesser-kwn stories of slavery in North America and reveal surprising parallels among slave cultures across the continent. Although they focus on North America, these scholars also take a broad view of slavery as a global historical phemen and describe how coercers and the coerced, as well as outside observers, have understood what it means to be a slave in various times and cultures, including in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. The contributors explore the links between indigeus customs of coercion before European contact, those of the tumultuous colonial era, some of the less-familiar paradigms of slavery before the Civil War, and the hazy legal borders between voluntary and involuntary servitude today. The breadth of the chapters complements and enhances traditional scholarship that has focused on slavery in the colonial and nineteenth-century South, and the contributors find the connections among the many histories of slavery in order to provide a better understanding of the many ways in which coercion and slavery worked across North America and continue to work today.
- Author BiographyIndependent scholar Bonnie Martin has published widely on the history of slavery and is a contributor to New Directions in Slavery Studies: Commodification, Community, and Comparison. Ethnohistorian James F. Brooks served as the president and chief executive officer at the School for Advanced Research and is currently a professor of anthropology and history at the University of California, Santa Barbara, USA. His many publications include Captives and Cousins: Slavery, Kinship, and Community in the Southwest Borderlands.
- PublisherSAR Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleAdvanced Seminar Series
- Place of PublicationSanta Fe
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSchool of American Research Press,U.S.
- Content Note8 halftones, 2 maps, 1 chart
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byBonnie Martin,James F. Brooks
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.