All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMajestic, ble, brave lions, with their tawny coats and lumius eyes, have inspired countless stories, traditions and beliefs. Whether we are seduced by their beauty or drawn to danger, we want to be near them. No other animal has had such an enduring symbolic resonance; lions have been painted on wood and canvas, chiselled in stone, cast in metal and featured on the pages of medieval manuscripts. In this lavishly illustrated book, Deirdre Jackson draws on the latest scientific research, folklore, travel literature, lion tamers' memoirs and little-kwn sources to guide readers on a memorable cultural safari. Roaring lions sound invincible, but like other large, wide-ranging predators they are in danger of disappearing. Poised at the top of the ecological pyramid, these adaptable and gregarious animals have always been far less plentiful than those on which they prey. The vulnerable African lion is w confined to the sub-Sahara, and its Asian cousin is critically endangered. Lion , one of the few books to consider both, traces our relationship with the animals through the centuries and paints a fresh picture of these charismatic creatures.
- Author BiographyDeirdre Jackson works in the Department of Manuscripts at the British Library and is a Fellow of the Zoological Society of London (ZSL).
- Author(s)Deirdre Jackson
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2010
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Series TitleAnimal
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note48 black & white illustrations, 71 colour illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.