All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can teachers ensure a pedagogy of possibility underpinned by social justice, and what has literacy got to do with this? This book explores the positive synergies between critical literacy and place-conscious pedagogy. Through rich classroom research it introduces and demonstrates how a synthesis of insights from theories of space and place and literacy studies can underpin the design and enactment of culturally inclusive curriculum for diverse student communities, and illustrates how making place and space the objects of study provide productive resources for teachers to design enabling pedagogical practices that extend students' literate repertoires. The argument is that systematic study of and engagement with specific elements of place can enable students' academic learning and literacy. Literacy, Place, and Pedagogies of Possibility * is informed by critical literacy, place-conscious pedagogy and spatial theory * is richly illustrated with examples from classroom research, including teacher and student artifacts * provides new directions for classroom practice in critical literacy This vel combination of multidisciplinary theory and classroom research extends previous work in critical literacy pedagogy, drawing on two decades of ethgraphic and collaborative inquiry in classrooms situated in culturally and linguistically diverse classrooms.
- Author BiographyBarbara Comber is Research Professor, Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
- Author(s)Barbara Comber
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/08/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleExpanding Literacies in Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white tables, 36 black & white halftones, 7 black & white line drawings
- Weight294 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.