All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContemporary Austria habitually presents itself as the cultural nation, or Kulturnation, where the promotion of culture is both of national and ecomic importance. In 1999, the government stated the value of culture in Austria as follows: Our cultural heritage, contemporary culture, and art constitute major factors for both our own definition of cultural nation as well as the foreign perception of Austria. Since the 1950s, Austria has nurtured a romantic attitude toward its past glory and embraced a cultural conservatism that hindered many Austrians from developing an open mind toward - and interest in - cultural criticism, artistic experimentation, and invation. Therefore, most state funding continues to be channeled toward Austria's established theaters and artists rather than the writers and filmmakers, who make significant contributions to the public discourse on cultural amnesia and historical revisionism by challenging with varying intensity and on differing aesthetic platforms Austria's misguided self-promotion, such as Kulturnation par excellence.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Margarete Lamb-Faffelberger is Associate Professor of German at Lafayette College. She is the author of numerous articles on contemporary Austrian literature and film as well as three books: Valie Export und Elfriede Jelinek im Spiegel der Presse. Zur Rezeption der feministischen Avantgarde Oesterreichs (Lang, 1992), Out from the Shadows: A Collection of Articles on Austrian Literature and Film by Women since 1945 (1997), and Postwar Austrian Theatre: Text and Performance (co-edited with Linda C. DeMeritt; 2002).
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/2002
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleAustrian Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number33
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note5 ill.
- Weight430 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byMargarete Lamb-Faffelberger
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.