All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 'long' fourteenth century perhaps can be seen as Thessalonica's heyday. Alongside its growing commercial prowess, the city was developing into an important centre of government, where members of the Byzantine imperial family of the Palaiologoi ruled independently under full imperial titles, striking coinage and following an increasingly automous external policy. It was also developing into a formidable centre for letters, education, and artistic expression, due in part to Palaiologan patronage. This volume sets out the political and commercial landscape of Thessalonica between 1303 and 1430, when the city fell to the Ottoman Turks, before focusing on the literary and hymgraphical aspects of the city's cultural history and its legacy. The cosmopolitan nature of urban life in Thessalonica, the polyphony of opinions it experienced and expressed, its multiple links with centres such as Constantiple, Adriaple, Athos, Lems and Lesvos, and the diversity and strength of its authorial voices make the study of the city's cultural life a vital part of our understanding of the Byzantine Eastern Mediterranean.
- Author BiographyEugenia Russell is Lecturer in History at St Mary's University, Twickenham, UK. She is the author of St Demetrius of Thessalonica: Cult and Devotion in the Middle Ages (2010), 'Two Greek excerpts by Johannes Cuno (1463-1513) in London Arundel 550', Renaissance Studies 24 (2010), 'Donors, texts and images. Visualisation of the hagiographical cycle of St Panteleimon' (with Teodora Burnand), Byzantion 81 (2011) and the editor of Spirituality in Late Byzantium (2009).
- Author(s)Eugenia Russell
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/09/2014
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note5 illus
- Weight347 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.53Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.63
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.