All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of essays focuses on the role of spirituality in American literature through an examination of the multiple ways in which a deep engagement with the spiritual has shaped and affected literature in the Americas (three of the essays involve Canadian and Caribbean literature). The essays in the first section explore the intimate links between the spiritual and the social as they are manifested in forms of fiction like fantasy, science fiction, and the Christian fundamentalist fiction of Jerry B. Jenkins. The second section looks at the ways in which poetry has allowed writers as diverse as Emily Dickinson, Ellen Glasgow, Fanny Howe and Leonard Cohen to use language as a tool for exploring their complex relation to the spiritual seen in terms of radical otherness, or of exile, or of the search for common ground as human beings. The final section approaches spirituality as a defining element of the American experience, from Nathaniel Hawthorne to Toni Morrison and Paul Auster.
- Author BiographyKathie Birat is Emeritus Professor of American Literature at the University of Lorraine (Metz, France). She has published extensively in the fields of American, African American and Afro-Caribbean literature, with emphasis on questions related to orality and voice. Brigitte Zaugg is Associate Professor at the University of Lorraine (Metz, France), where she teaches American literature and translation. Among the most recent books she has co-edited are L'Espace du Sud au feminin (2011) and Dislocation culturelle et construction identitaire (2012). She is a member of IDEA research group.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication05/05/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleRecherches en Litterature et Spiritualite
- Series Part/Volume Number22
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight340 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byBrigitte Zaugg,Kathie Birat
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.