All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLittle Women has delighted and instructed readers for generations. For many, it is a favorite book first encountered in childhood or adolescence. Championed by Gertrude Stein, Simone de Beauvoir, Theodore Roosevelt, and J. K. Rowling, it is however much more than the girls' book intended by Alcott's first publisher. In this richly antated, illustrated edition, Daniel Shealy illuminates the vel's deep engagement with issues such as social equality, reform movements, the Civil War, friendship, love, loss, and of course the passage into adulthood. The editor provides running commentary on biographical contexts (Did Alcott, like Jo, have a mood pillow ?), social and historical contexts (When may a lady properly decline a gentleman's invitation to dance?), literary allusions (Who is Mrs. Malaprop?), and words likely to cause difficulty to modern readers (What is a velvet sod? A pickled lime?). With Shealy as a guide, we appreciate anew the confusions and difficulties that beset the March sisters as they overcome their burdens and journey toward maturity and adulthood: beautiful, domestic-minded Meg, doomed and forever childlike Beth, selfish Amy, and irrepressible Jo. This edition examines the vel's central question: How does one grow up well? Little Women: An Antated Edition offers something for everyone. It will delight both new and returning readers, young and old, male and female alike, who will want to own and treasure this beautiful edition full of color illustrations and photographs.
- Author BiographyDaniel Shealy has edited or co-edited eleven books about Louisa May Alcott, including The Journals of Louisa May Alcott. He is Professor of English at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- Author(s)Louisa May Alcott
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication16/08/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Content Note100 color illustrations
- Weight1928 g
- Width229 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Edited byDaniel Shealy
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Annotated edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.