All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionIn this exploration of the administration of law and its role in the lives of ordinary people in the rthern provinces of the Roman Empire, Serena Conlly draws upon a rich but little-kwn legal collection from the late 3rd century kwn as the Codex Hermogenianus. The codex is composed of imperial responses to petitions sent to Rome, written by a team of the emperor's legal experts. These petitions and responses provide a wealth of information about provincial legal administration and the lives of the n-elite petitioners. The man who prostituted his wife, the mother whose malicious son undersold her farm, and the slaves who posed as free men to get a loan are just a few of the lives to encounter. Lives behind the Laws makes a valuable contribution to Roman social, political, and legal history.
- Author BiographySerena Connolly is Assistant Professor of Classics at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick.
- Author(s)Serena Connolly
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication05/02/2010
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note1 map
- Weight440 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.