All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionLIVING IN TWO WORLDS is Charles Eastman's (Ohiyesa) compelling story of embracing a life of traditional cultural ideals of his madic ancestors while living in the modern industrialised world. Eastman (1858-1939) was the first and greatest of the Native American authors and the most widely celebrated spokesman of all Native Americans during the first decades of the twentieth century. His life's story gained prominence when the 2007 HBO film entitled Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee used Eastman, played by Adam Beach, as its leading hero. Born in a buffalo-hide tipi in 1858, Eastman was raised as a traditional Sioux Indian as a youth, but was catapulted into the dominant white society of his time, becoming a medical doctor who cared for wounded Indians after the 1890 massacre at Wounded Knee. He personally knew paragons of his race that included Red Cloud, Sitting Bull and Chief Joseph and, also, became a lobbyist in Washington, D.C. for the Sioux tribe. This book includes selections from five of Eastman's most important books edited by award-winning author, Michael Fitzgerald. Nine interviews with contemporary Native leaders from diverse tribes bring Eastman's narrative up to our current day. Filled with first-hand accounts, personal stories, interviews, timelines, maps and over 275 stunning vintage photographs and paintings, this beautifully illustrated book presents a vivid account of the American Indian experience during the last four centuries.
- Author BiographyCharles Alexander Eastman (Ohiyesa) published eleven books from 1902 until 1918. He died in 1939. Michael Oren Fitzgerald is editor of numerous award-winning titles including Indian Spirit: and The Spirit of Indian Women.
- Author(s)Charles A. Eastman,James Trosper
- PublisherWorld Wisdom Books
- Date of Publication16/12/2009
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWorld Wisdom Books
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), maps (some col.)
- Weight1 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byMichael Oren Fitzgerald
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.