All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionCristiana Piccardo was the long-time abbess of an unusual Cistercian community in Italy. We have always believed, she writes, that the monastic charism can be a precious 'talent' offered to our contemporary world, and there are moments in history when what rmally remains hidden should come into the light. These words accurately describe both the force behind the story of the Vitorchia monastic family and the account of it given in Living Wisdom, her reflection on the meaning of that story. Over the course of four decades, the Abbey of Vitorchia would found fewer than six new monasteries around the world, from Argentina to Indonesia, and today this vibrant oasis of prayer and Christian living still has some eighty sisters of its own. What is the secret of such success? In a nutshell, we could say that, in the Vitorchia perspective, the monastery is thing other than a microcosm of the church and of human society. The book, translated from the Italian, initiates us in a most concrete way into a wisdom that seeks the kingdom of God ardently yet realistically, without ever bypassing the essential human foundations that the life in Christ transforms and elevates but never supplants: hard work, communal striving, friendship, honesty in communication, a sense of humor, and, above all, love-the willingness both to ask for forgiveness and to give it with joy.
- Author BiographyCristiana Piccardo was born in Genova, Italy, in 1925, and in 1958 entered a monastery of Trappistine Cistercian nuns not far to the north of Rome, at Vitorchiano. In 1964 Mother Cristiana became the abbess. She left Vitorchiano to be the superior of their Venezuelan foundation from 1991 to 2002 where she currently resides.
- Author(s)Cristiana Piccardo
- PublisherCistercian Publications Inc
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleMonastic Wisdom Series
- Series Part/Volume Number33
- Place of PublicationKalamazoo, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCistercian Publications Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.