All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a wealth of literature on Star Trek , and this book is a welcome and original contribution to it. The book t only sets Star Trek in dialogue with ideas and stories of utopia, community, self-improvement, that are central to American culture and history, but goes further to examine the complex ways in which these are taken up and used by 'ordinary' fans, who engage with Star Trek in complex and significant ways. Lincoln Geraghty explores, for example, Star Trek's multiple histories and how Star Trek and the American Jeremiad, one of the nation's foundational texts, refer back to the past to prophesy a better future. He reveals how fans define the series as a blueprint for the solution of such social problems in America as racism and war and shows how they have used the series to cope with personal trauma and such characters as Data and Seven of Nine in moments of personal transformation. This is all in all a revelatory and original book on Star Trek as both tv and cinema.
- Author BiographySenior Lecturer in Film Studies in the Department of Creative Arts, Film and Media, University of Portsmouth.
- Author(s)Lincoln Geraghty
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/03/2007
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight408 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.