Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.46+ AU $6.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDavid Livingstone (1813-1873) is revered as one of history's greatest explorers and missionaries, the first European to cross Africa, and the first to find Victoria Falls and the source of the Congo River. In this exciting new edition, Jeal draws on fresh sources and archival discoveries to provide the most fully rounded portrait of this complicated man-dogged by failure throughout his life despite his full share of success. Using Livingstone's original field tebooks, Jeal finds that the explorer's problems with his African followers were far graver than previously understood. From recently discovered letters he elaborates on the explorer's decision to send his wife Mary back home to England. He also uncovers fascinating information about Livingstone's importance to the British Empire and about his relationship with the journalist-adventurer Henry Morton Stanley. In addition Jeal here evokes the full pathos of the explorer's final journey. This masterful, updated biography also features an excellent selection of new maps and illustrations.
- Author BiographyTim Jeal is also the biographer of Henry Morton Stanley (National Book Critics' Circle Award in Biography and Sunday Times Biography of the Year 2007), and Robert Baden-Powell, which (like Livingstone) was chosen as a Notable Book of the Year by the New York Times and the Washington Post. In 2011 his Explorers of the Nile was a New York Times Editor's Choice and a BBC Radio 4 Book of the Week.
- Author(s)Tim Jeal
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication19/02/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note16pp. b&w illustrations section
- Weight617 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edition StatementRevised and expanded ed
Most relevant reviews
- mickeylou6518 Oct, 2016by
A must read for any and all history buffs
This was an amazing historical journey based on facts. Two amazing men from the most unlikely backgrounds achieving the impossible.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $52.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.