All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt first glance, Lloyd Hamilton was simply a large, baby-faced comic who wore a checkered cap and walked like a duck. Beyond the surface, however, Hamilton had much more to offer than an iconic look and persona. In his performances, Hamilton demonstrated keen timing and an inventive mind, providing humor rich in both emotion and self-observation for a career that spanned over 20 years. But perhaps most importantly, Hamilton was greatly admired by his fellow comics as a true 'comedian's comedian' receiving overwhelming praise from less than Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and other comic greats.This book explores Hamilton's life and work, beginning with his conservative middle-class childhood, which set him apart from most early slapstick comedy stars who came from theatrical backgrounds with broken or poor immigrant families. The story continues through the comic's early entry into show business as a theatre extra, his most memorable role as the stocky, crass half of silent comedy's 'Ham and Bud' duo, his first feature film The Darker Self , and many other career benchmarks. The author also examines Hamilton's troublesome private life and his descent into alcoholism, evaluating how the decline of Hamilton's health and career led to his death at the age of 43. The book includes several exclusive photos from the Hamilton family, along with a comprehensive filmography including detailed plot descriptions, behind-the-scenes facts, and an in-depth analysis of Hamilton's critical lost feature film A Self-Made Failure .
- Author BiographyAnthony Balducci wrote articles related to silent film comedy for Film Collector's World in the late 1970s. Currently he is researching a book on cyber crime. He lives in Gainesville, Florida.
- Author(s)Anthony Balducci
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2009
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width175 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.