All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fundamental objective of this large-scale study is to reconstruct the contemporary historical value of panchayats (a traditional rural Indian political system) in the decentralization of the country. Using interviews and discussions with all the central players in the field, the author presents a comparative and detailed account of panchayat-centric democratic decentralization in the states of West Bengal, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh. The author covers the key issues of whether: - the policy of reservations has created spaces for the weaker sections, including women; - panchayats empower people and strengthen democracy at the local level; - the people are satisfied with the performance of panchayats. Additionally, the book assesses the impact of decentralization on the functional efficacy of social sector institutions such as primary schools and health centers.
- Author(s)Girish Kumar
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication07/08/2006
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.