All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis interdisciplinary volume explores the role of culture in single-industry communities facing the loss of their major industry. In a series of invative case studies extending from New Zealand and Slovenia to the contemporary Nordic and Baltic States, the contributors address a wide range of topical issues. These include the role of the community's past as a marker of its newly reconstructed identity and the importance of local traditions, landscapes, and place-related memories in post-industrial communities formerly dependent on one single employer or industry. The empirical case studies emphasise the role of cultural memory and local identity as communal strategies of survival and perseverance in such places and provide fresh perspectives into this turn to culture. The four parts of the book address such topics as the symbolic governance of change, tradition as capital, narratives as collective memories, and post-Soviet transition in comparative perspective. The team of international contributors hails from Australia, Estonia, Finland, Germany, and Slovenia and represents the fields of sociology, cultural policy, cultural history, landscape studies, and geography.
- Author BiographyThe editors of the book are experienced scholars in cultural studies at the University of Eastern Finland in Joensuu. Dr Simo Hayrynen is Senior Researcher and Adjunct Professor of Cultural Policy, Professor Risto Turunen is Professor of Literature and the Head of the School of Humanities, and Professor Jopi Nyman is Professor of English at the School of Humanities.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication10/01/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight476 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byJopi Nyman,Risto Turunen,Simo Hayrynen
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.