All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the freewheeling '70s, La Mesa Penitentiary was a prison unlike any other, a colorful little pueblo on the east side of Tijuana that was home to the worst criminals imaginable-and their entire families. Everything was controlled by the inmates, and the world they created was a bizarre reflection of the one they'd left behind: There was a bustling business district complete with stores and restaurants, a prison laundry staffed by transvestite hookers and a babysitting service run by a schizophrenic murderer. Weekend fiestas brought drunken partiers to the prison, along with masked wrestlers and strolling mariachis. It was a temple of vice where the inmates had better guns than the guards, a place so out of control that people from the outside would actually visit the prison to score drugs. And at the very top of the food chain were the capos, an elite class of drug lords and gang bosses. While the average inmate lived in a makeshift shanty made of scrap lumber and cardboard, the capos had two-story casas complete with offices, harems, and Jacuzzis on the balcony. La Mesa at the time was both a deadly powderkeg and a nstop party. Locked Up In La Mesa is the true story of Steve Peterson, a young California surfer dude caught smuggling pot in the hills outside Tijuana. In thirty-four short stories of black humor and bittersweet humanity, Steve, together with writer Eldon Asp, recalls his hilarious adventures and scary close calls inside the most torious prison in Mexico...
- Author BiographyGrowing up, STEVE PETERSON dreamed of becoming a cowboy, a sailor, a fisherman and a smuggler. All of these dreams came true, and then some. His greatest joy is being a father of six, with six grandkids and counting... ELDON ASP is a writer of various scripts and stories, mostly involving characters who are very excited about their horrible plans. LOCKED UP IN LA MESA is his first book. His next one is EASY STREET.
- Author(s)Eldon Asp,Steve Peterson
- PublisherDirt City Press
- Date of Publication11/07/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDirt City Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.