Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThe steam locomotive is a machine that has inspired imagination, invation and invention from the time of its origination and continues to evoke passion in enthusiasts today.Here Michael R. Bailey, expertly and in fascinating detail, describes the development of the steam locomotive during its pioneering first half-century until 1850 by exploring the surviving locomotives that may be seen in Britain, Europe, and North and South America. In addition to surviving relics, he also takes a look at operable replicas, which fill many gaps in international collections, to provide continuity in this evolutionary story. Exploring in depth each example's operational and preservation history, along with design characteristics, component materials and modifications made, detail is left unmentioned. With unparalleled detail, incredibly stunning images and a list of museums housing all of the world's oldest locomotives, this truly is a volume that student of railway history should be without.
- Author BiographyMichael R. Bailey is a railway historian who has undertaken projects for museums in England, Canada and Denmark. He has written a number of books and papers on railway history.
- Author(s)Michael Bailey
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2014
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note250 black & white illustrations, 50 colour illustrations
- Weight1157 g
- Width248 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.