About this product
- DescriptionIn the Western philosophical tradition logical investigation and philosophical advance have been inextricably linked, each having stimulated and shaped the other. In Logic and Philosophy William H. Brenner examines a broad range of logical concepts and methods as they relate to the larger context of philosophical investigation and thus bring to light the philosophical depth of logic and its relevance to philosophy in general. The dual purpose of this volume - to provide a distinctively philosophical introduction to logic, as well as a logic-orientated approach to philosophy - should make this book a worthwhile primary text for logic and/or philosophy courses. And though Logic and Philosophy is fully accessible to beginners, it should be a profitable text for advanced students as well, one that provides distinctive and illuminating perspectives on material that will be familiar to them. The first five chapters covers a variety of elementary formal and informal types of reasoning, including one on traditional logic that culminates in a treatment of Aristotle's philosophy of science; a truth-functional logic chapter that examines Wittgenstein's philosophy of language, logic and mysticism; and sections on induction, analogy, and fallacies that incorporate material on mind-body dualism, pseudoscience, the raven paradox , abortion, and proofs of God. The remaining four chapters treat a variety of philosophical topics: a priori kwledge, ethics and the soul, freedom and determinism, kwledge and the mind, the nature of religious belief, time and becoming, and the nature of philosophy. Throughout the book Brenner highlights passages and ideas from various prominent philosophers, and discusses at some length the work of Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Kant, and Wittgenstein.
- Author BiographyWilliam H. Brenner is professor of philosophy and religious studies at Old Dominion University and author of Elements of Modern Philosophy and Wittgenstein s Philosophical Investigations.
- Author(s)William H. Brenner
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication31/07/1993
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $19.25Trending at AU $20.63
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.