All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLogic and Philosophy of Mathematics in the Early Husserl focuses on the first ten years of Edmund Husserl's work, from the publication of his Philosophy of Arithmetic (1891) to that of his Logical Investigations (1900/01), and aims to precisely locate his early work in the fields of logic, philosophy of logic and philosophy of mathematics. Unlike most phemelogists, the author refrains from reading Husserl's early work as a more or less immature sketch of claims consolidated only in his later phemelogy, and unlike the majority of historians of logic she emphasizes the systematic strength and the originality of Husserl's logico-mathematical work. The book attempts to reconstruct the discussion between Husserl and those philosophers and mathematicians who contributed to new developments in logic, such as Leibniz, Bolza, the logical algebraists (especially Boole and Schroder), Frege, and Hilbert and his school. It presents both a comprehensive critical examination of some of the major works produced by Husserl and his antagonists in the last decade of the 19th century and a formal reconstruction of many texts from Husserl's Nachlass that have t yet been the object of systematical scrutiny. This volume will be of particular interest to researchers working in the history, and in the philosophy, of logic and mathematics, and more generally, to analytical philosophers and phemelogists with a background in standard logic.
- Author BiographyStefania Centrone obtained her master degree in Philosophy at the University of Florence. She was a PhD student at the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa, where she defended her doctoral dissertation in 2004. She was then awarded post-doctoral research grants at the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa until 2008. Since January 2009, Stefania Centrone has a two-year Alexander-von-Humboldt fellowship for research on Logical Objectivism, Inference and Foundational Proof in Bernard Bolzano's 'Wissenschaftslehre' at the Philosophy Department of the University of Hamburg. She has given contributed talks at various workshops and conferences all over Europe, as well as invited talks at the Universities of Dublin, Koeln and Geneve.
- Author(s)Stefania Centrone
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- Series TitleSynthese Library
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 345
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1190 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.