All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSamuel Johnson famously said that: When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life. London's remarkable history, architecture, landmarks, streets, style, cool, swagger, and stalwart residents are pictured in hundreds of compelling photographs sourced from a wide array of archives around the world. London is a vast sprawling metropolis, constantly evolving and growing, yet throughout its complex past and shifting present, the humor, unique character, and bulldog spirit of the people have stayed constant. This book salutes all those Londoners, their city, and its history. In addition to the wealth of images included in this book, many previously unpublished, London's history is told through hundreds of quotations, lively essays, and references from key movies, books, and records. From Victorian London to the Swinging 60s; from the Battle of Britain to Punk; from the Festival of Britain to the 2012 Olympics; from the foggy cobbled streets to the architectural masterpieces of the millennium; from rough pubs to private drinking clubs; from Royal Weddings to raves, from the charm of the East End to the wonders of the Westminster; from Chelsea girls to Hoxton hipsters; from the power to glory: in page after page of stunning photographs, reproduced big and bold like the city itself, London at last gets the photographic tribute it deserves.
- Author BiographyReuel Golden is a photography book editor at TASCHEN, for whom he edited New York: Portrait of a City. He graduated in politics from the University of Sussex, England. Formerly the editor of British Journal of Photography and executive editor at Photo District News, he authored Masters of Photography and Witness: The World's Greatest News Photographers before joining TASCHEN's ranks. He has lectured on photography in London, New York and Los Angeles, and judged numerous photography competitions. He lives in Brooklyn.
- Author(s)Reuel Golden
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication10/07/2012
- LanguageEnglish, French, German
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight4087 g
- Width340 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Photographs byEve Arnold,David Bailey,Cecil Beaton,Bill Brandt,Henri Cartier-Bresson,Alvin Langdon Coburn,Terence Donovan,Walker Evans,Roger Fenton
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.