All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMuch of Peter Ackroyd's work has been concerned with the life and past of London but here, as a culmination, is his definitive account of the city. It has been abridged for audio into five broad areas of interest and is also available as a box set. For Ackroyd London is a living organism, with its own laws of growth and change, thus London is a biography rather than a history. It differs from other histories, too, in the range and diversity of its contents. Ackroyd portrays London from the time of the Druids to the beginning of the twenty-first century, ting magnificence in both epochs, but this is t a simple chrological record. It is a comprehensive account, animated by Ackroyd's concern for the close relationship between the present and the past as well as by what he describes as the peculiar 'echoic' quality of London whereby its texture and history actively affect the lives and personalities of its citizens. London is perhaps the most important study of the city ever written, and confirms Ackroyd's status as what one critic has called 'our age's greatest London imagination'. Trade and Enterprise explores London as a centre for international trade, finance and culture. Integral topics covered include the river, banking, science and architecture.
- Author BiographyPeter Ackroyd is an award-winning historian, biographer, novelist, poet and broadcaster. He is the author of the acclaimed non-fiction bestsellers London: The Biography, Thames: Sacred River and London Under; biographies of figures including Charles Dickens, William Blake, Charlie Chaplin and Alfred Hitchcock; and a multi-volume history of England. He has won the Whitbread Biography Award, the Royal Society of Literature's William Heinemann Award, the James Tait Black Memorial Prize, the Guardian Fiction Prize, the Somerset Maugham Award and the South Bank Prize for Literature. He holds a CBE for services to literature.
- Author(s)Peter Ackroyd
- Date of Publication02/10/2003
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRandom House Audiobooks
- Weight173 g
- Width143 mm
- Height125 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Read bySimon Callow
- Contained items statement3 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time180
- Edition StatementAbridged edition
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $34.22Trending at AU $38.86
- AU $32.09Trending at AU $37.42
- AU $18.92Trending at AU $20.08
- AU $15.19Trending at AU $19.84
- AU $12.47Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $16.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.